Encouraging children to be themselves and love God, Worship and Wonder is available every Sunday during the 10:45 worship service. Children from three years old to 2nd grade are invited to participate. This worship is an exciting way to approach faith formation with children.
Each child is a spiritual being who has a unique relationship with God. Through the stories and actions of Children Worship and Wonder, children learn about God as they experience God. They hear Bible stories in a way that allows them to enter into the stories through their own life experiences.
Here is what happens weekly in Worship & Wonder:
- Children are invited to Worship and Wonder during worship in the Sanctuary. With adult supervision, children line up and walk to the Children Worship and Wonder Room. They line up outside the room. If they want they may remove their shoes and leave an offering in the basket as they enter one at a time.
- They sit in a circle and after a greeting they sing church songs of their choice.
- They hear a Bible story.
- They have a reflection time (individual activity).
- They clean up and return to the circle.
- They have an offering, hear a scripture, and pray for the feast.
- They have a "feast."
- They receive a blessing individually before going home with their families.
*In the fall, children hear stories from the Old Testament. In December, there are Advent stories. After Advent, the children hear stories about Jesus, parables, and stories about the ministry of Jesus including Easter stories. Pentecost and Baptism finish the year. Children hear inspiring books in the summer.
We have two groups of children meeting for Worship and Wonder which gives both groups more room. Stories are from "Young Children and Worship" by Sonja M. Stewart and Jerome W. Berryman. .